Sunday, July 08, 2007

My Dad

My Dad went in for surgery June 26th to have his esophagus removed because of the cancer. Well, his stomach had to be removed also because the cancer had spread farther than previously thought. They had to graft from his colon to create a stomach. It’s a very intense shock to the system this type of surgery. He is still in ICU. Some days he is getting better and other days there seems to be set backs.
On the 3rd day when one of the chest tubes was removed, air got in his chest cavity and started to collapse his lung so they inserted something they call a pigtail. After a week or so that wasn’t sufficient so yesterday they had to insert another tube through his back. Needless to say, he isn’t very comfortable and hasn’t been since the surgery. He also got an infection they hadn't been able to identify but, fortunately, the antibiotics are beginning to work and his white blood cell count is on the decline.
My Dad’s an active fit man so I believe this will help in his recovery. Still he’s frustrated being bed-bound. This compounded by having to be “NPO” meaning: he cannot eat or drink anything orally.
He has many people that care about him and I know that helps, prayers help too. I am there with him every day because there is nowhere else I’d rather be right now. I just wish there were more I could do for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments moderated