Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Being Mindy.... Since the 1970's

I went by 'Mindy' throughout my entire childhood. My family and long-time friends still call me Mindy. I started feeling big enough - worthy enough-really, of my given name; Melinda when I was around 25 years old and  I stopped introducing myself as Mindy. But until then, Every person I ever met from around 4th grade on, when they heard my name for the first time, they would ask: "Where's Mork?" 

Not, "Hello" or "Nice to meet you" or..... "Mindy? I like that name". 
ALWAYS "Where's Mork?"
It didn't bother me (it did get old...like a broken record, boring -predictable, and unfortunately, I rarely had a good comeback),  it wasn't why I transitioned to Melinda and "Mel". I did that because I grew out of Mindy (which BTW, started as "Mini" when I was a baby.)  The impact of being asked "Where's Mork?" all the time was that it secretly made me feel connected to Robin Williams - whom I loved since I saw him on Happy Days. ( He was in a couple episodes before Mork & Mindy). I've seen every movie he's done - every stand up show (not live), even watched every episode of "The Crazy Ones".

I have never been emotional about a celebrities death. I didn't know them personally. I didn't know Robin Williams personally - but I feel a loss, as if I had. I've even shed some tears. My heart feels broken.

Mindy Calling Mork - Come in Mork 


He will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments moderated