Tuesday, January 20, 2009

ESSAY 3 “Procrastination”

If procrastination were marketable, I would be a very wealthy person. (That is if I ever got around to placing that ad!) My perspective on the subject comes from the very depths of it - having been a lifelong ‘Master Procrastinator’. Putting things off until the end of “the last minute” has never worked out well. I transform a task I am competent to perform and complete in a timely manner, into an overwhelming nightmare and the sound of the clock ticking alone clouds my ability to focus. Through self-analysis, I have come to believe this to be self destructive exercise, possibly based in some sort of self loathing. However, I digress. Recognizing that this is a problem, I must overcome! I have sought advice through friends, family and internet searches and found some very helpful strategies and tips.
Prioritizing is first and foremost, I learned this in my years as an administrative assistant. There are always multiple duties in life to accomplish on a daily basis. It helps to make lists and high light what demands immediate attention and has time sensitivity. Sometimes having more than one list is an advantageous kind of mind trick to play on oneself. Completing a short list is easier than a long list, the tendency to put off getting started: greatly diminished.
Next, divide and conquer. A big task can look too big to tackle at times, intimidating and overwhelming. Large projects consist of smaller tasks, doable portions I can complete in a short and reasonable time. For example, when I need to clean the entire house, the very thought of it could be overwhelming. I break it down into smaller steps that I can complete in 15 to 30 minutes, such as, cleaning a kitchen cabinet.
The most popular answer I have found is having a reward system. One is much more likely to complete that boring task if there is a reward waiting. If I promise to give myself a reward that is enticing enough to not want to put off the task for another time I will be less likely to procrastinate. Nevertheless, there is no reward, not even a small part of it, if I have not fulfilled what I have set out to accomplish. I am smoker so one way to motivate is to deny myself a cigarette until after I finish a step or two in a larger project. I recently rewarded myself with the latest Foo Fighter’s CD for making good on two year old promise to my father to clean and organize his basement and garage.
This brings me to tips like, using music; I have playlists of upbeat,’ feel good’ music that serves as great motivation. Another thing to do is get others involved, tell my loved one’s when my deadlines are, what is on my list. Public embarrassment is right up there with my fear of spiders and maggots.
My family members suggest I overcome procrastinating by, “Just doing it!” (As if, I hadn’t thought of that one on my own!) However, I gave this notion deeper thought and concluded that I needed to actively retrain my behaviors and myself so that I will just do it! In addition, I needed to understand why I put things off and performance anxiety is sometimes at the root. I consciously changed my inner dialogue to one that says, “Be courageous; stop avoiding” One act of courage can eliminate fear. Instead of constantly telling myself I better perform well, I remind myself that "just doing it" is more important. I find that I rarely fail to impress myself with my ability once I get to it, anyway. I also realize that I am too significant to live with anxiety about the things I have to do; I remind myself that people who love themselves don’t hurt themselves that way.
Sometimes, not always, procrastination is merely a symptom of fatigue. I’ve learned that it is very important to recharge daily. Get enough sleep and rest each day so I have the necessary energy I need to accomplish my tasks. Also, drink plenty of water and choose natural whole foods whenever possible because I have read and believe that the brain functions much more efficiently when fed properly.
My favorite suggestion came from my Father, “when you wake up in the morning, eat a frog. Anything else you have to do will seem like a cake walk.”
By putting into action what I have learned I will overcome and conquer the procrastinator in me. I must never be lazy when doing so and live consciously and proactively.


Sources
ineedmotivation.COM. Ways to Overcome & Cure Procrastination.

Koretsky, Jennifer. The Top 10 Ways to Overcome Procrastination. Sept. 2004. 2008 .

Robbins, Anthony. 16 Ways To Overcome Procrastination. .

1 comment:

  1. Wow this is terrible. I must have gotten less than a B on this. Damn. I need to re write this.

    ReplyDelete

All comments moderated