Tuesday, December 13, 2005

"You have those cat eyes like my Mother!"

I will never forget Grandma telling me that. It was February 2003. I was blessed to have been able to spend her 84th birthday with her that year. We all got her favorite balloons and flowers. All of her children sent something. Even Uncle Mike had stopped by. (None of us were expecting that.) Her living room soon filled up with fragrant beautiful flowers from all over and Grandma was smiles all day. I cannot remember what gifts she received but, I clearly remember her clasping her hands together under her chin and saying "this is my best birthday ever!"
I was blessed to get to know my grandma over the past 11 years during my visits to Fort Wayne Indiana. I would spend day after day with her for anywhere from 2 to 5 weeks. I will always cherish those times.

My Grandma told me about the beautiful love affair she had with my Grandpa. They fell in love while they were still in their teens. He being 2 years older caused my Great-Great Grandparents, who were raising Grandma at the time, to forbid her from seeing him. They wrote letters to eachother until she was of age. She saved those letters all these years. I was told that my two aunts, Sue and Linda read those letters to Grandma yesterday.
Grandma died last night. She had bone cancer and was in terrible terrible pain. Grandpa died of cancer 25 years ago. They are together and with her beauty-feet they are dancing in heaven now. I know this because I remember how Grandma's eyes would light up when she would tell me how sometimes she would dream they were both young again and he came and swept her up, swung her around and they danced for what seemed like forever to her.
I am truly blessed to be offspring of such a love. A deep never-ending love.

When I left Ft. Wayne in Early March 2003 Grandma said with tears in her eyes, "I'm never going to see you again, Mindy" She hugged me so tight. We both cried.

Rest in sweet beauty peace Grandma. You deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments moderated