Wednesday, September 13, 2006

In honor of the 5 year anniversary of 9/11

Yes I know it's a couple days late but consider I wrote and sketched this 10 years & 11 months before "9/11" actually happened. I had just turned 21.
I never put these two works together until 2001. Although I did them within days - weeks of eachother I never made the connection. There is only one person in the drawing yet, the poem speaks of many.

I titled it: "Who Were They" because at the time I wrote it I had no idea who these people were. Whose story flowed from me onto paper effortlessly and without pause.
I would ask anyone that would take the time to read it what their interpretation was asking , "who were they?"

All those years prior 2001 there was no right or wrong answer. I heard a lot of interesting takes on it ranging from, the lost city of Atlantis to the Vietnam war.
The only thought I had was that I had to include: "who, where, when, why, what and how"

After rereading it many times I concluded that each reference to "they" isn't necessarily about the same "they" in each and every verse while the entire piece is obviously about a collective event that they and "they" all seperately played a part in, so to speak.

Have I lost you yet? Welcome to the mind of Mel!
(I analyze therefore I am)

Since 9/11 I've brought this out to some of my friends and family that had given their opinions all those years ago and they, like me, get a little chill from it.
My brother also pointed out that the man in the drawing kinda resembles Rudy Giuliani.

Who Were They?
© Melinda Lantz-Theissen Marinko 1990

I wonder what it was that started
As their faces filled with fear?
And why it was that they were parted
From those they held so dear?

I wonder why it happened this way
The lives twisted around?
And who it was that would have to pay
The people on the ground?

I wonder how they all turned out
Those souls lost in the crowds.
Or what it was that had filled them with doubt?
The faces in the shrouds.

I wonder where they could be right now?
They’ve hidden from the rain.
Or when they said they've made a vow
To never live in vain?

I wonder who led them all away
On to a safer place?
And where it was they fell to pray?
The ones who fell from grace.

I wonder if they plan to come back
To face what’s left behind?
And why it was that the evil pack
destroyed all it could find?

© Art and verse original works of
Melinda Marinko (formerly Lantz-Theissen)
Created in October 1990



1 comment:

All comments moderated